Studio recording can be an ‘open-ended’ exercise with some of the larger and often unexpected costs coming toward the end of the process. Below is a breakdown of a typical full length recording based on 2011 Urban Lounge Studio prices (including GST). There are many items (eg, piano tuning) which may not apply to your particular needs.
$75 per hour (+GST) or a cheaper day rate
Tracking involves the initial recording of the band/artist often conducted over one or more ‘day length’ sessions.
These sessions are for ‘fixing’ mistakes or adding parts. Eg a 2nd guitar part, backing vocals etc…
Removing unwanted noise from tracks, ‘comping’ parts and mixing each song
Session Musicians $65-$88 per hour
Session musicians can be booked if necessary and will generally be happy to negotiate a ‘Day Rate’
Piano Tuning $160 (if required)
These services are sourced externally
- Mastering from $180 per hour ($900 full length CD)
- Photography from $120 per hour
- CD Artwork from $850 CD covers, CD, Tray and booklet all need to be designed and presented to the printer in a professional format. This stage needs to be completed well and I recommend a professional graphic designer for this task.
- Replication from $880 (500 copies) This is the process used to produce multiple replicated copies of your CD/DVD. The cost per disk decreases as the quantity increases. Minimum run is 500. Expect a minimum 10-day turnaround time.
These prices are provided as a guide. It is always wise to develop a realistic budget that takes into consideration all of the above options. Make sure you allocate enough of your budget to each area and then spend plenty of time in pre-production to ensure you only spend time in the studio that you need to.
- Website design and build from $750
- Web Hosting/Domain Name from $125
more about web services…